Top Horizontal Menu

Thoughts after Reading Trylle

 

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1)Torn (Trylle Trilogy, Book 2)Ascend (Trylle Trilogy, #3)

Photos Courtesy of Amazon

I discovered the Trylle trilogy while I was browsing through Amazon.  It was a book recommended for me – I think via my purchase of Magic’s Promise by Mercedes Lackey.  It is a trilogy with Switched as the first book, and Torn and Ascend completing the Trilogy.  However – as a reader – I must say that it could really have just been one book since the story arch in each book seems to be incomplete.  Switched is on sale for 2.99 USD if you purchase the Kindle edition and Torn and Ascend are regular priced at 4.99 USD.

Trylle is the story of Wendy, a teenager who discovered that she is actually a Princess and heir apparent to the throne for a people called Trylle.  She had a horrible childhood and the story started with her mother trying to kill her on her sixth birthday.  There really isn’t anything entirely new about the story since fans of stories like Harry Potter, Narnia, and even the Magic series which I referred to earlier – all tells a story of a young man or woman who lived miserable childhoods and discovers that they have great power and along with that great power a responsibility to fight evil.   I am a fan of all of these books which is why it was no surprise that I also loved the story of Wendy.

Amanda Hocking, the author, is very good story teller.  I actually read the book quickly and the twist and turns of the story behind Wendy, her friends and family, and her love life were so interesting that it was difficult to put down.  This is actually good business because as I finished the first book, I purchased the second and the third book.  This of course was easy to do since I purchased the Kindle version.

It’s been a long while since I last read a novel.  The last one I read was also via the Kindle on my iPad.  I must say that as much as I love the smell of books – I think I am definitely an e-books fan.  I also want to say that reading this novel was a good wake up call for me.  I’ve not been myself lately.  The drive to succeed has been very weak.  I used to have a purpose in life.  That seems to have progressively weakened.  However – Wendy’s story and her inner struggle in choosing to face her duties and responsibilities that came along with her gifts were too close to my own story.   I’m a talented man and it seems like I have been putting it all to waste.  I know that it’s difficult to understand that this is coming from a man who is close to his forties but with how all of our society seems to be so distracted by the barrage of information from the internet and other media – I think most of us are really just lost.   

Most of us are lost – but we find our way – and novels such as the one written by Miss Hocking ( very much like how JK Rowling did with Harry Potter ) – are good reminders of our greatness and our duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment