Top Horizontal Menu

My Sci-Fi Fantasies are Coming True

Growing up, I've always been a fan of Science Fiction books, TV shows, and movies. As a kid, there was a time when I wanted to either be a scientist or an astronaut. One of my favorite cartoons is the Josie and the Pussycats in Outerspace. It was just awesome that a cute-sy cartoon like Josie and the Pussycats can be mixed with space exploration. I was also a fan of animes. When I started reading and through high school - Sci-Fi is also one of the Genres that I will read. My favorite book was Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov. From there I proceeded to read the whole Robot and Foundation series. Some ofthe books I actually read as an adult. For TV, I've watched the Star Trek series, any Gene Roddenbery inspired TV show, and anything on the Sci-Fi channel.

Apart from the story lines, one of things that facinates me with Sci-Fi is the authors' implied or direct commentary of what the future holds for mankind. Everyone must recall that Jules Verne in 20,000 Leagues under the sea wrote about the submarine years before the first submarine was built. A lot of the Sci-Fi TV shows demonstrated gadgets which can do pretty much about anything. It also shows talking computers and even dancing robots. As we all know, a lot of these are still fiction but a lot of these are starting to become a reality.

In my lifetime, I'm amazed at the speed that technology has developed. As a child - I remember being amazed with the personal computer. Of course - in College, I saw the PC evolving from the 8086/8088, to the 286, to the 386, 486, and when I graduated - the Pentium. I also recall using character based user interface to the first Windows. The internet was definitely one of the most groundbreaking technological development. I was so amazed with it when I first started using it. Of course - now - I am able to access it wherever I am - especially with the development of 3G speed for my mobile phone. Right now --- the development continues.

I remember when Java was still at its infancy. The people who developed Java wanted a programming language that can be used openly across systems. This will allow every-day people to access content and Apps in the most common things - like the Fridge. For example, the fridge can keep track of the inventory of items within it - and post that somewhere on the web where people can find out what they need to shop for. This blog entry was actually inspired by that thought. I have not seen a fridge developed like that. But I remember telling Regina, with both of us signing up for Google Wave --- we can actually create a Fridge Wave which our Maid can access to keep track of items that we should buy that weekend from the Grocery store.

One of the things that I'm also very excited about are the 3D movies that are coming up. Right now - we only see practical applications while watching movies. But imagine this --- if this technology can be replicated in the display of Mobile Phones, one only needs to wear stylish - 3D glasses - and you can end up with a hologram of the person you are talking to on the phone.

My Sci-Fi fantasies are indeed coming true. I'm excited about that --- and I know it just goes to show how much of a Geek I am. However --- I've never been ashamed of admitting that because I know that as much as I am a geek --- I'm also a fabulous queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment