Top Horizontal Menu

My Big Girl is Easily Spooked



Brita, my German Shorthaired Pointer is easily spooked.  Things that frighten her (not an exhaustive list) - fireworks, thunder, any loud noise, her nanny yelling, a human wearing a hat, a human wearing a hoodie, when I wear formal clothes (tuxedo, suit), my camera, and the list just goes on.



We actually have many different theories on why she reacts negatively towards these things.  One theory is that she actually witnessed a burglary in her previous home that scarred her for life.  I have my own theory - I think that she is a distant relative of Scooby Doo.   I know - Scooby Doo is not a pointer (I think he's a greyhound).  But both of them are big dogs - and both of them get scared of every little thing.



Seriously speaking - I actually want to address her anxiety over these things.  I made her wear the Thundershirt - for loud noises.  It seems like that doesn't work well for her.  It works wonders with my beagle, Midori but not for Brita.   When there is a thunderstorm she hides under the couch - or behind the drapes.



I am still trying to figure out how to calm her down.  Maybe it's age?  I know that Midori had many issues when she was a puppy - but she just outgrew them eventually.



Do any of your furbabies have issues that you wish you can help with but can't?   Did you get to a happy ending eventually?


No comments:

Post a Comment